If you want to add mutliple tracking codes, or track traffic using more advanced Google Analytics features, using a Tag Manager solution such as Google Tag Manager (GTM) is a good way to move forward.
The Sharetribe Team doesn't provide GTM support. If you prefer to keep things simple, relying on Google Analytics is a good first step.
How to add the GTM tracking code in your Sharetribe website
You need to have a Google Tag Manager account working with a GTM Container already defined.
First, let's get your Sharetribe marketplace ready:
- Log in your marketplace and go to the admin panel
- Go to the "Analytics" section
- Uncheck the "Allow Sharetribe to track members activity in order to improve Sharetribe's services" box
Because Sharetribe uses Google Tag Manager for its own Analytics, it has to be disabled to avoid conflicts. This won't impact your tracking, on the contrary. You can learn more here.
Now let's get your GTM tracking code:
- Log in your GTM account at https://tagmanager.google.com/
- Select your Container
- Click "Admin" from the top bar
- Click "Install Google Tag Manager"
You should see the tracking codes to add to your marketplace.
Next let's add them to your Sharetribe marketplace
- Log in your Sharetribe admin panel
- Go to the "Design" section
- In the Custom Script section, paste the two tracking codes shared on the "Install Google Tag Manager" page
That's it! All good!
Note: Even though GTM recommends to have the two tracking codes in two different sections ("head" and "body"), having them both in the "head" via the Custom Script feature will work smoothly.
Disable the default Google Analytics integration
If you decide to link your Google Analytics account to your Google Tag Manager account and track it from there, don't forget to remove the Google Analytics ID from the Analytics section of your Sharetribe admin panel, to avoid double tracking.