Note that the following instructions only apply to Sharetribe marketplaces.
In a Sharetribe marketplace, users can create a Sharetribe user account and log in using their Google account. When using their Google credentials, users don't need to remember a separate username and password for Sharetribe. Their profile picture is automatically imported from Google.
If you want to, you can also enable the same feature for Facebook Login and LinkedIn Sign In.
If you would like to enable that feature, you will need to create a Google Sign-In Project and configure your marketplace to use this Project. Creating a Google Sign-In Project is free. Follow the instructions below to set this up.
IMPORTANT! Google's interface is subject to change and makes part of this step by step instructions confusing. If you notice that you cannot follow these steps, please contact Sharetribe's Support team, and we will be happy to assist.
When creating a Google Sign-In Project for your marketplace, please do NOT add anything that is not specifically indicated in these instructions. Doing so might create some issues and prevent you from finishing the setup.
Create and set up a Google Sign-In Project
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/
- Log in with your Google account (you may have to register as a developer if you don't have a Google developers account already).
- Click the "Select a project" button on the top bar.
- When the pop-up opens, click the "New project" button on the top right corner.
- Name your Project (for example, your marketplace name) and click "Create".
- You have now created your project. Now you need to configure it ;)
- Go to the "OAuth consent screen" page. You can do so from many links on the page, but the easiest way is from the left side menu.
- Once there, select "External" as a User type and click "Create".
- You can skip most of the fields on this next page, but you should add at least the name and the logo.
- Configure the name that will be displayed to your members, the Application name, and the Logo of your application. Your marketplace name is a good name for this too. Click "Save".
- From the left sidebar, go to the "Credentials" page.
- Click "+ Create credentials" from the top of the page.
- Select "OAuth 2.0 Client ID"
- The application type is "Web application"
- You can give it any name
- If you are on a Pro/Growth/Scale plan, it could be: "https://www.mygreatmarketplace.com", "https://mygreatmarketplace.com", or "https://something.mygreatmarketplace.com".
- If you are on a trial, Starter or Hobby plan, it could be "https://mygreatmarketplace.sharetribe.com"
- In the "Authorized redirect URIs", add your marketplace address followed by
- If you are on a Pro/Growth/Scale plan, it could be:
- If you are on a trial, Starter, or Hobby plan, it could be:
- Click "Create".
Your Google Sign-In project is now created, configured, and live. But this isn't finished yet!
You now have to configure it in your marketplace to use it.
Configure your Google Sign-In Project in your marketplace
You'll have to copy some information about your Google Sign-In Projet from Google to use it within your marketplace. If you haven't created a Google Sign-In Project at Google yet, please follow the instructions above.
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/.
- From the top bar, make sure to select the Project you've just created.
- From the left sidebar, go to "Credentials".
- In the "OAuth 2.0 client IDs" list, click on the row for the ID you created.
- Copy the value in "Client ID". It's a long chain of characters and numbers.
- Log in to your marketplace. You must be logged as an administrator.
- Go to the "Users / Signup & Login" page of your Admin panel.
- Find the "Google Sign-In" section.
- In "Google Client ID", paste the value "Client ID" you copied earlier.
- Go back to your Project at Google, in the same section you were.
- Copy the value in "Client secret". It's a long chain of characters and numbers. You may have to refresh the page to have that "Client secret" field displayed.
- Go back to the "Social media" settings in your marketplace.
- Paste the copied "Client secret" string into the "Google Client secret" field.
- Click "Save settings".
That's it! Google Sign-In is now active and set!