Track your traffic in your Sharetribe marketplace with Google Analytics. You'll be able to browse and analyze lots of data: number of visitors, pages viewed, time spent on your marketplace, traffic sources, etc.
To track traffic, you'll need to create a Google Analytics account and insert the Tracking ID in your marketplace settings. Google Analytics is free to use.
Create a Google Analytics account
- Go to https://www.google.com/analytics/web/.
- Log in with a Google account or create a new one.
- Go to "Admin" from the bottom left corner and select "+ Create Account".
- Input an account name and review the data sharing settings. Then click "Next".
- Name your property and review the details. Be careful! Make sure to click "Show advanced options".
- In the advanced options, toggle "Create a Universal Analytics property" then add your marketplace address and click "Create a Universal Analytics property only".
- Make sure you create a "Universal property only", as Go doesn't support "Google Analytics 4" yet. Then click "Next".
- If you want to, give some business information. Then click "Create".
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- From the top of the page, copy or note the "Tracking ID". It should look like "UA-12345-12". If the tracking ID you see is in the format "G-123456", go back to step 5.
Your Google Analytics account is now created, and you have your tracking ID. Next up, configure it in your marketplace to track traffic.
Configure your Google Analytics Tracking ID in your marketplace
You'll have to copy some information about your Google Analytics account to use it within your marketplace. If you haven't created a Google Analytics account yet, please follow the instructions above.
- Get the "Tracking ID" of your Google Analytics account related to your marketplace (see the instructions above). It should look like "UA-12345-12". If your tracking ID is in the format "G-123456", go back to step 5 of the instructions above.
- Log in to your Sharetribe marketplace. You must be logged in as an administrator.
- Open your Admin panel.
- Select "Analytics / Google Analytics" from the left-hand menu.
- Add your"Tracking ID" to the "Google Analytics tracking ID" field.
- Click on "Save settings".
That's it! Google Analytics is now active and set!
Traffic from your marketplace will start to appear within 24 hours in your Google Analytics account, and you should already be able to view some from the Real-time section in your Google Analytics account.
How to use Google Analytics
Google Analytics is easy to use but can also be quite an overwhelming tool. You can learn more about Google Analytics from the official Help and Support channels at Google or with the how to use Google Analytics guide. Google's Digital Analytics Fundamentals is also a great resource.
How to add Google Analytics events
Right now, it isn't possible to add new events as this would require access to the back-end and code, which isn't available in the hosted version. Possibly you could use your own Google Tag Manager setup for easier management of your own events! If you do, you might want to disable Sharetribe's analytics to avoid any conflicts.
Some events are already tracked in your marketplace as soon as you've configured Google Analytics. You can view events in your Google Analytics account, in the Behavior / Events section.
Here is a list of the events tracked by default (format: description; event category; event action; event label):
- User signs up with email:
- User signs up with Facebook Connect:
- User deletes their account:
- User creates a new listing:
- User comments on a listing:
- User posts a new message in a conversation or transaction thread:
- Admin exports user list to CSV file:
- User goes through the paid transaction flow (preauthorize, accepts, rejects, redirect to PayPal...)
- Admin goes through some onboarding steps and activities (view list)