Order types shows what your marketplace is offering, if it is selling, renting, giving away, a combination or something else. Order types determine the order flow on your marketplace as well as the pricing units available.
This article covers the following:
- How to create and edit order types
- Creating a new order type
- What to think about when you create a new order type
- What happens to existing listings when you edit order types
- How to enable or disable online payments for an order type
- How to change order type (listing type) for a listing
- Different order types for different categories
- How to delete an order type and what happens when you do
- Enabling shipping for an order type
- Edit the text on the checkout button for listings
How to add or edit an order type
To create a new order type or edit one, you should:
- login your marketplace as an administrator,
- go to the admin panel,
- open the "Order types" tab,
- choose a template from the “select a template” or edit an existing one by clicking the pencil icon,
- configure it and save.
The order type will be created/changed immediately.
The order type will be used for all categories, if you wish to only use it for certain categories you will have to:
- go to “Categories” in your admin panel,
- edit the category you do not wish to use the order type with. You need to do this with all categories relevant,
Creating a new order type
To create a new order type you should select a template from the “select a template” underneath the existing order types in your admin panel
We offer six predetermined order types you can choose from:
- Selling products
- Renting products
- Offering services
- Giving things away
- Posting announcements
In addition to these you can create your custom order type by clicking the last option, “custom” to create your own.
What to think about when you create a new order type
When you create a new order type there are several things to take into consideration.
The first is to decide what order type or order types you should have on your marketplace. In many types of marketplaces only one is needed as you are only renting or selling but in others you might use two or more order types.
When you have created the new order type you need to decide the following:
- The order type’s name that the users and sellers will see
- The text on the checkout button (the buy button on a listing). If you are renting bikes “rent” or “rent this bike” might make more sense than “buy” for example.
- For many of the order types you need to choose if you want to allow sellers to determine a price and offer online payments. If you do not offer online payments you can still show a price or show no price at all. If you only show the price or no price at all online transactions are disabled.
- Choose if you set pricing units or use the availability management option.
- If you have enabled online payments you can choose shipping as an option. If shipping is enabled then a “pick up” option is also enabled.
If you wish to have a pricing unit or online payments but do not see an option for it you need to change order type template.
What happens to existing listings when you edit an order type?
When you edit an order type all new listings created will use the new settings, however open listings will not change.
To change an open listing you or the seller need to manually edit the listing by opening the listing and click “edit listing” and then click “Save”. By doing this the changes will be applied.
How to enable or disable online payments for an order type
With most order types online payment is enabled by default. However for each order type you can choose if you offer payment online, only showing the price or listings not showing a price.
By changing these settings you can decide it you have online transactions or not.
Can different categories have different order types?
Yes. When you edit a category, you select which order types are used in that category. When you add a new order type, it is assigned to all existing categories by default but you can change this for each category.
How to change order type for a listing
- open the listing,
- click “edit listing”,
- at the top shows the order type (and category if you have any), click the order type and change it to the desired one.
- If the order type is not available for the category currently selected you need to change category first.
- click “Save”.
What happens when I delete an order type?
If you delete an order type any open listings within that order type will be closed. You delete an order type by editing it and clicking ‘“delete order type” in the bottom right corner.
If you wish to delete an order type but keep the listings open it is best to first change the order type for the existing listings to another one, before deleting it.
Tips: You can see all listings that belong to an order type by clicking “All listing types” on your marketplaces homepage and selecting the order type you wish to remove.
Enabling shipping for an order type
If you have the options “accept payments online” enabled for an order type you can allow the sellers to add a shipping fee to their listings. If this option is enabled the sellers can add a shipping fee and use pickup as options.
How to edit the text on the checkout button for listings
The text on the checkout button is determined by the order type used.
To edit it:
- log in your marketplace as an administrator,
- go to the admin panel,
- open the "Order types" tab,
- open the edit window for the relevant order type by clicking the pencil icon next to it.
- edit the text under “Checkout button label”
- when done click “Save”.