Using Google Analytics, you can track what keywords people search for in your marketplace. This can be useful to learn more about the behavior of your users and to see if there is demand for something that your marketplace doesn't offer.
How to track search terms using Google Analytics
Before you proceed, make sure that you've created a Google Analytics account and have set it up for your marketplace. Once that's done, follow these steps:
- Log in to Google Analytics at https://www.google.com/analytics/web/.
- Open the account that you created for your marketplace.
- From the bottom left, select "Admin".
- In the "View" column (the third one, on the right), select the view where your want to track searches (you may have only one view).
- Select "View Settings" in that column.
- In the "Site Search Settings" part, switch "Site search Tracking" to "On".
- In the "Query parameter" field, add "
q" (just the letter). If you use the Location Search feature, you can also track them by adding a second query parameter "
lq" (you should add a "
," between the two parameters, like "
- Check the "Strip query parameters out of URL" checkbox.
- Save your settings.
It might take up to 24 hours before Google Analytics shows any results. You can find the search results from the "Behavior / Site Search / Overview" report.