Stripe fees are very country dependent and they can be quite confusing. Believe us, we know! Fees are mostly charged based on the country configured in your Stripe account. However, some of the fees also depend on the country of origin of the buyers card, except for Stripe account in the US, where the charge is always the same. Remember that with Stripe the fees are always charged to the admin's Stripe account. Take this in consideration when setting a transaction fee.
Here are a couple examples transactions that could happen within a marketplace and what is the end result in terms of profit for all parts involved. Bear in mind that if the bank account currency is different than the currency of the marketplace, conversion fees could apply.
You can learn more about Stripe fees in this article and you should always refer to the latest fees displayed in Stripe documentation.
Let's assume that your Stripe and bank accounts are located in Finland (or any other European country) and that the currency in your marketplace is Euros. Your transaction fee is set 10%. Let's also assume for this example that there is a provider in Finland that posts a listing for 200 €. The commission of your marketplace for this transaction would be 20 €.
- The buyer pays with a European credit card, which means that the processing fee would be 1.4% + 0.25 €. The processing fee for this transaction would be 3.05 € (200 € x 1.4% + 0.25 €). In the end:
- The seller would receive 180 € (200 € - 20 €)
- The admin would get 16.95 € (20 € - 3.05 €)
- Stripe would keep 3.05 €
- The buyer pays with a non-European credit card, which means that the processing fee would be 2.9% + 0.25€. The processing fee total would be 6.05€ (200 € x 2.9% + 0.25 €). In the end:
- The seller would receive 180 €
- The admin would keep 13.95 €
- Stripe would keep 6.05 €
Your Stripe account is configured in the US and your marketplace uses USD. Your commission is 5%. Let's assume there is a transaction for $30 USD. The commission of your marketplace would be $1.50.
- The processing fee for this transaction would be, 2.9% + 30¢ = $1.17. In the end:
- The seller would receive $28.50
- The admin would keep 33¢
- Stripe would keep $1.17
What about the other fees?
There are other fees that you need to take into consideration when managing your account: managed account fees and payout fees. However, this are not strictly part of the transaction and therefore we haven't included them in this article. If you want to find out more about this, check out our article about Stripe fees .