If something goes wrong, users can dispute the transaction and ask for a refund.
How to issue a refund when Stripe has been used
As an admin, you can refund (partially or entirely) a buyer payment, from your Stripe dashboard. With Stripe only the admin can do a refund, the providers cannot.
To do a refund you should:
- make sure, from the View transactions section in your admin panel that the transaction has not been marked as completed by the buyer already
- ask the buyer to click the Dispute button in the transaction conversation thread, if this has not been done already (you can contact Sharetribe's support to have it done manually if needed)
- log in your Stripe account at https://dashboard.stripe.com/
- go to the Payments tab
- filter and browse payments to find the one you are looking for
- open the payment by clicking on it
- click the Refund button
- choose the amount you want to refund and confirm (you can issue either partial or full refunds)
- don't forget to check the "Reverse the associated transfer" box to make sure that the money will come from the seller account and not from your own admin account
- possibly add some details and reasons, and confirm the Refund
IMPORTANT: a refund should only be done before a transaction has been marked as completed. Once a transaction has been marked as Completed, you will be able to refund the buyer but money will come from your own admin money, not from the seller payment.
IMPORTANT: a refunded transaction should always be marked as Disputed by the buyer in the transaction conversation thread. If not, there is a risk that buyers will mark it as completed.
That's it! Buyers will receive the refund within 5 to 10 days.
Is the Stripe payment processing fee refunded?
No. There are no fees to refund a charge, but the fees from the original charge are not returned (you can learn more about Stripe fees here).